Chevroches, Canal du Nivernais

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Lost in Translation


La Charité-sur-Loire

I'd be fairly confident that many, if not most, of you reading this would be able to ask for a glass of  rosé in a French bistro without first running it through Google translate. For a start rosé is a French word so you've only got to come up with 'please' which surely everyone knows even if they skived off every single French lesson at school and 'a glass' which you'll likely see scrawled on a blackboard somewhere in the bar but could be dispensed with altogether.
Having spent quite a few months in France over the past 5 years and quite a few more dollars on French classes I was mortified at the following exchange last night. (To lessen the confusion I'll give the English version but the conversation was in French).

Waiter: Good evening.
Me: Good evening. A glass of  rosé and a beer please. (I did ask for a 'pression' which is a beer on tap. The pression wasn't the problem)
Waiter (looking at me) : A glass of wine?
Me: Yes, please. A glass of rosé.
Waiter: A glass ?
Me: Yes, please.
Waiter: White wine?
Me: No, a glass of rosé.
Waiter: Red wine or white?
Me : No, a glass of rosé. Please.

My companion (in English, to me): You're starting to blush.
Me (to companion in Anglo Saxon): **** ***

Waiter ( looking a bit annoyed now and raising his voice): White wine? Red wine? 'Sprechen zie Deutsch?'
Me: Nein!
Table of 6 French people beside us in chorus: Rosé!!
Waiter (with heavy emphasis on that back of the throat 'r' sound. Like a roll of distant thunder in his throat): Ah... you want rrrrosé.

I'm sorry Sylviane (my French teacher). I failed. Utterly.








No comments:

Post a Comment