Chevroches, Canal du Nivernais

Monday 7 October 2013

Crossed Wires


Restored round lock at Apremont. Now unused this lock once allowed barges to navigate between  the river Loire and the canal system

The taxi to the station is booked for tomorrow morning. At least I hope it is. Conducting a phone conversation in a foreign language is just about the most excruciatingly difficult task you can put yourself through when travelling and best avoided if possible. Those finely honed miming skills are completely useless and if you can’t see the baffled look on the person you’re talking to how can you tell if you’re speaking complete gibberish? Anyway, I hope the taxi will arrive here at 10.30 and take us to the station. But did I tell him to pick us up at Chatillon sur Loire or Chatillon sur Saone? I meant the former but I’m worried that I got a bit confused. Unfortunately for both of us the two places are nowhere near each other. I should really phone him back and check but somehow I’d rather miss the train than go through all that again.
In the meatime, here are a few photos from the past couple of weeks.
At the top of the double lock near Apremont

and the bottom. Lock keeper seeing us safely on our way.

Paddling at the junction of the rivers Loire and the Allier. Looks placid but the current was running fast and I was staying very close to the edge.
Crossing another aqueduct. This time over the Allier.

Last lock for the year
Approaching Chatillon - this year's winter mooring
The local horsemeat butcher - Chatillon. And no, we haven't been in.

No comments:

Post a Comment